Chinese New Year is right around the corner and what better way to celebrate with your kids than to make your own fortune cookie out of paper. We had a great time making them and thought you would too! These would be great to make for a cute Valentines day party, Chinese New Year Celebration or even after a dinner party with your grown up friends. Stick some cute little fortunes inside and watch the fun begin!
How to make your own fortune cookies out of paper……..
- White paper (for the fortune)
- Scrapbook paper
- Glue dots (or hot glue) Help the kiddos out if you use the hot glue!!
- Drinking Glass (about 3/4 in wide)
1) Turn your scrapbook paper over and on the non-pretty side trace around the drinking glass to make a complete circle on the paper. Size does not matter too much but we did find that the 3/4 inch size worked out the best for us. The larger the circle the bigger your “cookie” will be.
2) Write love notes or fortunes onto strips of small paper that you can tuck inside the cookie. Fold the circle in half, but DO NOT put a crease in the cookie, it’s more of a bend.
3) Put your thumb on one end of the cookie and your middle finger on the other end with your dominate hand. Use your other finger to gently press the middle of the cookie inward to get that fortune cookie look.
4) Place a small glue dot to hold the two ends together. If you do not have any glue dots to hold your fortune cookies together than a small amount of hot glue will work also. (Make sure you take care of this step with children so we don’t have any burned fingers).
These easy and adorable paper fortune cookies are fun to make for kids and adults alike. They are the perfect accent to any party!
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make fortune cookies out of paper!
Here are a few books that we love to read the kids about Chinese New Year!!
- Goldy Luck and the Three Panda by Grace Li
- Goldy Luck and the Three Pandas by Natasha Yim
- A New Year’s Reunion by Yu Li-Qiong
More Learning Resources for Chinese New Year with Kids
- Make your own Fortune Cookie out of Paper (Pre-cut Kit)
- Chinese Lantern Craft Kit (Makes 12)
- Color-in Chinese Dragon Puppet Kits for Kids to Make (Pack of 4)