Are you ready for some more kids crafts?? How about bumping it up a notch a making it a nature craft for kids project??
Fall is definitely here and we took off the other day on a nature hunt using our fall scavenger hunt printable to find some fantastic fall nature items!! I had already made some of our Acorn Cookie snacks to have when we got back and we grabbed our bags and took off out the door on our hunt!
Remember to pick up plenty of acorns on your walk and read my article about another kids activity where you can learn Acorns Weights and Measures (23 things you can learn with Acorns, a scale and a ruler). It’s a great article and I don’t want you to miss it!
Now onto our feature article how to make our wonderful nature craft with kids….. the wonderful pinecone owl!!
Nature Craft for Kids: Pinecone Owl Kids Craft
Items needed: (please note. we made quite a few but this is what you need for just one.)
- 2 dried leaves
- a piece of bark
- 2 acorn tops, detached from the actual acorn
- orange construction paper
- 2 googly eyes
- tacky glue
- hot glue gun and glue (we used this for attaching the pinecone to the bark)
You will actually want to make the owl before you attach it to the bark. This will need to dry overnight and then you can go ahead and attach it. Parents…. the hot glue is for you to do while the kiddos supervise (we don’t want any burns around here!).
- Cut out 3 triangle shapes, 2 for the feet and one for the beak.
- Take the tops off of 2 of your acorns.
- Carefully glue the googly eyes onto the inside of the acorn tops and set aside to dry. This may be a good time to have a snack or take a break.
- Once your glue has dried you may then begin gluing the acorn top eyes onto the pinecone and then follow up with the leaves for the wings, feet and beak.
- Set your project aside overnight to dry.
- Once it has once again finished drying it’s time for us parents to do a bit of work.
- Hot glue your pinecone to the bark and hold in place until it is dry. This will help stabilize your cute little owl. It may take you a couple times to get it good and stable.
- Once the hot glue dries it is ready for your child to use as a decoration in the house. Let them choose the spot! It’s amazing the places they come up with!
I hope you enjoyed today’s featured article. I’m sure that you all will enjoy the nature walk and the cute little pinecone owl that your kids made!
Make sure to always let your child make their own craft just the way they like it. That means if your child’s owl has eyes on it’s feet, it is ok!! However they make it make sure and let them know it is perfect in every way. This helps raise their self esteem and encourages creativity in your little one.
What is your favorite nature craft for kids that you have completed in your home?? Leave me a comment! I would really love to hear from you.