Are you looking for a quick and easy Cat in the Hat Craft to celebrate Dr. Seuss Day? Theodor Seuss Geisel who was born on March 2nd, 1904 was more well known for his pen name Dr. Seuss and wrote many popular and fun books that we still enjoy today!
What better way to celebrate his birthday than to enjoy a fun craft in honor of him. Don’t forget to check out all our other fun crafts on our website.
- Below you will find the supplies you need for this super fun and easy Cat in the Hat Craft. We used a hot glue gun for ours because it is quick, easy and holds well. If you have a smaller child you may want to try using Elmer’s Glue or Tacky Glue.
The Cat in the Hat Craft: Pencil Cup Holder
- Soup can – rinsed and washed with the label peeled off (We use a can opener that does not leave sharp edges)
- Red yarn
- White yarn
- Low temp. Hot glue gun & glue
Now onto how to make The Cat in the Hat Pencil Holder
- Heat up your hot glue gun.
- You want to have five stripes in the end, so either eyeball out the general thickness of each stripe (which is what I did), or you could measure if you want to be exact.
- Start with your red yarn and a strip of glue on the bottom edge of your can and wrap the red yarn so it is secure. You don’t need to use glue every time you wrap the yarn, just every few times so it stays in place.
- Once your red stripe has reached the right thickness, run another long strip of glue along the top of that stripe to secure the end, then cut.
- Do the same with the white yarn to make your second stripe and so forth.
- Once you comple your last red stripe for the top, run a strip of glue along the top of the can to be sure to cover any sharp edges with your yarn before cutting.