The days are getting longer, the perennials are popping and we finally see a glimmer of Spring!!! Spring cleaning is not something I normally enjoy, but since I starting making my own cleaners by cleaning with essential oils it seems it take a little less time and my house always smells good. I will admit when you first start out making your own homemade cleaners you can expect all supplies to cost around $30, however, this will give you enough supplies to last for a LONG time. A typical homemade bottle of cleaner will cost around $1 or less.
These are the items you need. The best part is that most of these items can be found at your local supermarket or local health food store or I was able to find some great deals on Amazon.
Here are the links to help you find these items easily:
- – Castile Soap – Natural Soap, the surprisingly strong. A few drops go a long way.
- – Lavender oil – a natural anti-bacterial oil that smells wonderful.
- – Tea tree oil – a natural oil that cleans, kills germs and disinfects.
- – Washing soda – sodium carbonate, this also doubles as a laundry detergent.
Here are some of my favorite household cleaners for cleaning with essential oils.
- 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide – 3% solution
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon citric acid
- 2 cups water
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil
Hydrogen peroxide has a high level of concentration much like chlorine, however, the corrosive levels are very low and there is little vapor concentration, which makes this extremely safe. If you want your bleach a little more powerful simply use less water.
All Purpose Cleaner
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon castile soap
- 2 cups hot water
This is going to bubble so be sure to leave enough space in his last bottle and add water. This multi-purpose cleaner is great for cleaning anything from countertops to your floors.
All Natural Bath, Tub & Tile Cleaner
- 2/3 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 cup castile soap
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- A few drops of tea tree oil
Once again this mixture will react when it’s being mixed so it’s best if done over a sink. This is a pasty mixture so it’s best if it’s kept in a squirt bottle so it’s easier to use.